Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Until they all have a home- a friend's story

I mentioned in my previous post that my parents met a family in HHI that had adopted a little girl from China.  I am blessed to now call them friends and prayer partners :)!  God is so good to me!  There story is beautiful and faith filled and I hope you are blessed by reading about it:


Our story really begins when my husband and I were children, not knowing one another but being connected to the same children's home in our home town of Knoxville, Tennessee.  I attended school with these children and his family would bring children home with them on the weekends.  After marrying in 1988, we had "plans" for how our lives would work.  Wanting to work & finish school for the first 5 yrs. & starting a family after that - needless to say that God had different plans.  Ten years & five months after we were married our first son was born & 2 1/2 years later our second son was born. 

Prior to our 1st child's birth in 1998, we went to doctors as many do, but it was not until we gave everything to God that I conceived.  I remember praying that whatever God wanted was ok - if we were to have biological children - that was ok, if He wanted us to adopt - that was ok or if we were not meant to have children - please show us & remove our desire for them (this was of course the hardest part).  After that , I felt such peace and lightness of trying to carry this burden & was wondering why I had not done this sooner, as I am sure God was - He is soooo patient with me.

In 2005, God started working in both my husband's as well as my heart.  At first I was reluctant, after all, I would be 40 shortly & as you know with 2 two children you are very busy.  Needless to say we submitted our application in June of 2005 & I became a mom on a mission ccompleting our paperwork as fast as possible.  In Nov. 2007, we received our referral for our precious daughter & spent Christmas 2007 in China - our most wonderful & blessed Christmas as a family.

During the paper chase & waiting period, God made it clear to both of us that we were not only to adopt but promote adoption and the plight of the orphan.  Encouraging adoption not only to start a family but to complete one as well - sharing that there is not one ounce of difference between our biological children and our daughter.  As a matter of fact, adoption is more intense in one way because you are not having to deal with the physical element - you get to fully experience the miracle of adoption without this distraction.

We used America World Adoption Association for our adoption and were very pleased.  They are Christian based and you are required to sign a profession of faith during the paperwork process.  We adopted from China and America World does only foreign adoptions.  Their website is awaa.org. 

Foreign, domestic or foster to adopt - God will lead.  I love when people ask why we choose China or foreign vs. domestic adoption & I tell them that out of the 145 to 150 million orphans world wide, less than 1/10 of 1% are located in the US.  Talk about taking the Great Commission to a new level - if only 7% of Christians worldwide would adopt there would be no orphans.

Father, I thank you for the Elkins family.  I thank you for their friendship and encouragement.  I thank you for steadfast obedience and for their desire to share what YOU have done in their hearts and lives.  Bless them and keep them always close to your side.  I pray in the name of your precious son, Amen.

No comments: